The Gut Microbiome: Influencing infant’s future health infographic
What is the gut microbiome? How does it develop and why is it important? In this informative infographic designed for healthcare professionals, we take a closer at how the gut microbiome plays a crucial role in influencing an infant’s future health.
To download this infographic to help further your knowledge about the gut microbiome and early life nutrition, click here.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Breastfeeding is best for babies. Infant formula is suitable from birth when babies are not breastfed. Follow-on milk is only for babies over 6 months, as part of a mixed diet and should not be used as a breastmilk substitute before 6 months. We advise that all formula milks including the decision to start weaning should be made on the advice of a doctor, midwife, health visitor, public health nurse, dietitian, pharmacist or other professional responsible for maternal and child care. Foods for special medical purposes should only be used under medical supervision. May be suitable for use as the sole source of nutrition for infants from birth, and/or as part of a balanced diet from 6–12 months. Refer to label for details.
- Gerritsen J, et al. Genes Nutr. 2011;6:209–40.
- Wopereis H, et al. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2014;25:428–38.
- Penders J, et al. Pediatrics. 2006;118:511–21.
- Why Thousand days. Available at: http://thousanddays.org/the-issue/why-1000-days/ [Last accessed July 2019].
- Lee KN, et al. World J Gastroenterol. 2014;20:8886–97.
- Gut Microbiota Info – Gut Microbiota for Health [Online] Available at: https://www.gutmicrobiotaforhealth.com/en/about-gut-microbiota-info/ [Accessed: August 2019].
- Furness JB et al. Am J Physiol. 1999;277(5 Pt 1):G922-8.
- Yang I, et al. Nurs Res. 2016;65: 76–88.
- Gibson GR, et al. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2017;14:491–02.
- Schrezenmeir J, et al. Am J Clin Nutr. 2001;73(Suppl2):361S–364S
- Patel RM, et al. Clin Perinatol. 2013;40:11–25.
- WHO. Going for the gold by supporting mothers to breastfeed https://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/statements/2008/s08/en/ [Accessed July 2019].
- Chirico G, et al. J Nutr 2008; 138: 1801S-06S.
- Pannaraj PS, et al. JAMA Pediatr 2017; 171: 647-654.
- Bode L. Glycobiology. 2012;22:1147–62;16