With proven efficacy for the management of cow’s milk allergy,1 the Aptamil Pepti range is nutritionally closer to breastmilk than other extensively hydrolysed formulas. Its ingredients include a blend of Galacto- and Fructo-oligosaccharides (GOS/FOS) and lactose.
Galacto-oligosaccharides and Fructo-oligosaccharides (GOS/FOS)
The proven benefits of the GOS/FOS blend in Aptamil Pepti include:
- Intestinal microflora closer to that of a breastfed baby2
- Reduced numbers of potential pathogens in the gut3
- Reduced incidence of atopic dermatitis4
- Reduced occurrence of infections5
- Reduced number of antibiotic courses6
The role of lactose in the first 1000 days:
- Lactose is the primary carbohydrate in breastmilk
- It provides benefits for an infant’s gut microbiota7. Diets without lactose may have disadvantages for the composition of the infant’s gut microbiota9
- It helps to stimulate the absorption and retention of calcium, which is key for bone mineralisation8
- Lactose improves palatability10
The Aptamil Pepti range are the UK’s most palatable EHF’s.11-12 According to healthcare professionals surveyed, many felt that the benefits of superior palatability include:
- Increase in the chance of non-rejection11
- Reduced likelihood in repeat visits to a healthcare professional due to a decreased need to switch to another formula11
- Reduction in feed waste and healthcare costs11
Aptamil Pepti range
- *Nestle Health Science. Althera data card. Available at https://www.nestlehealthscience.co.uk/sites/g/files/dnigna406/files/2020-12/Althera_Data_Card_Nov_20.pdf (accessed February 2021)
- Mead Johnson RB. Nutramigen 1 datacard. Available at https://www.hcp.nutramigen.co.uk/s/nutramigen-1-with-lgg (accessed Febuary 2021)
- Mead Johnson RB. Nutramigen 2 datacard. Available at https://www.hcp.nutramigen.co.uk/s/nutramigen-2-with-lgg (accessed February 2021)
- Abbott Nutrition. Alimentum datacard. Available at https://nutrition.abbott/uk/product/alimentum (accessed February 2021)
- Giampietro PG et al. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2001;12:83-6.
- Moro G et al. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2002;34:291-5.
- Knol J et al. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2003;3:566.
- Moro G et al. Arch Dis Child 2006;91:814-9.
- Arslanoglu S et al. J Nutr 2008;138:1091-5.
- Bruzzese E et al. Clin Nutr 2009;28:156-61
- Francavilla R et al. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2012 Aug;23(5):420-7.
- Heyman MB. Pediatrics 2006;118:1279-86.
- Host A et al. Arch Dis Child 1999;81(1):80-4.
- Koletzko S et al. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2012;55:221-9.
- Maslin K et al. Palatability of hypoallergenic formulas for cow’s milk allergy and healthcare professional recommendation. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2018 Dec;29(8):857-862.
- Data on file, updated independent taste panel report, Campden BRI, October 2020 n=102 HCPs, Campden BRI blind home usage taste testing, n=102 Dietitians and General Practitioners, n=82 parents. Aptamil Pepti 1 & Pepti Syneo vs all UK EHFs suitable for infants from birth.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Breastfeeding is best. Aptamil Pepti 1 & 2 and Aptamil Pepti Syneo are foods for special medical purposes for the dietary management of cow's milk allergy. They should only be used under medical supervision, after full consideration of the feeding options available including breastfeeding. Aptamil Pepti 1 and Aptamil Pepti Syneo are suitable for use as the sole source of nutrition for infants from birth and/or as part of a balanced diet from 6-12 months. Aptamil Pepti 2 is suitable for use for infants from 6 months as part of a balanced diet. Refer to label for details.