The nutriprem range is specifically tailored to help meet the nutritional needs of preterm and low birth weight infants, including specialised formulas, protein supplement and human milk fortifier.
Additional product information
Importance of milk fat
Breast milk has a specific fatty acid profile containing high levels of ß-palmitate (palmitic acid in the ß-position). When palmitic acid is in the ß-position, fats are metabolised more efficiently by infants12.
This provides beneficial effects for the infant, including4-8:
- Easier digestion
- Softer stools
- Better fat absorption
- Improved calcium absorption
Nutriprem 1, hydrolysed nutriprem and nutriprem 2 contain milk fat, which is naturally rich in ß-palmitate.
Importance of prebiotics
Prebiotic Oligosaccharides (OS) improve gut health
One of the major differences between breastfed and formula-fed infants is the development of the intestinal flora.13
Non-digestible oligosaccharides that act like prebiotics in breast milk play an important role in the production of beneficial bacteria supporting gut intestinal flora development.14
Nutriprem 1 and nutriprem 2 are the only preterm products that contain a blend of prebiotic OS, which is proven to:
- Increase beneficial bifidobacteria1
- Decrease potentially pathogenic bacteria2
- Reduce gastrointestinal transit time3
- Decrease stool viscosity, resulting in softer stools3
- Potentially improve enteral tolerance in very preterm infants15
- Boehm G et al. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 2002;86:F178-81.
- Knol J et al. Acta Paediatr 2005;94(449):31-3.
- Mihatsch W et al. Acta Paediatr 2006;95(7):843-8.
- Bar-Yoseph F et al. Prostaglandins Leukot. Essent. Fatty Acids 2013;89(4):139-43.
- Carnielli et al Am J Clin Nutr 1995;61(5):1037-1042.
- Carnielli et al. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 1996;23(5):553-560.
- Kennedy et al. Am J Clin Nutr 1999;70(5):920-7.
- Quinlan et al. Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 1995;20(1):81-90.
- Agostoni C et al. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2010;50(1):85–91.
- Aggett P et al. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2006;42(5):596–603.
- Doherty et al. Front Pediatr. 2018;20:6:91.
- Innis S et al. Lipids. 1994;29(8):541–5.
- Harmsen HJM et al. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2000;30(1):61–7
- Groer MW, et al. Microbiome 2014;2:(38):1-8
- Modi N et al. Pediatr Res. 2010;68(5):440–5.
Looking to speak to your local Nutricia representative?
Select ‘request a meeting/ call with a local sales rep’ as the topic of enquiry when completing our contact form, and your local account manager will be in touch shortly.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Breastfeeding is best. Nutriprem human milk fortifier, nutriprem protein supplement, hydrolysed nutriprem, nutriprem 1 and 2 are foods for special medical purposes for the dietary management of preterm and low birthweight infants. They should only be used under medical supervision, after full consideration of the feeding options available including breastfeeding. Hydrolysed nutriprem, nutriprem 1 and 2 are suitable for use as the sole source of nutrition for preterm and low birthweight infants. Refer to labels for details.