Aptamil Pepti Syneo is a whey-based extensively hydrolysed formula (EHF) for the dietary management of Cow's Milk Allergy (CMA). It is a nutritionally complete hypoallergenic formula, suitable as a sole source of nutrition from birth.
Aptamil Pepti Syneo is the only† EHF to contain a synbiotic blend of both prebiotics and probiotics*11.
After 12 weeks of taking Aptamil Pepti Syneo, the gut microbiota of infants with AD is brought closer to that of healthy breastfed infants2.
Aptamil Pepti Syneo is shown to support reductions in:
abdominal discomfort3# and wind3#
rhinitis severity3# and itchy eyes3#
constipation2,3# and dry stools2
atopic dermatitis severity2‡,3#
Improvements in allergic symptoms may help ease the burden of CMA on parents and caregivers3,16
An increase in parental QoL scores have been observed in just 4 weeks following introduction of Aptamil Pepti Syneo3#
Compared to a non-synbiotic EHF in a 1-year follow-up of the SYNBAD study, those in the Aptamil Pepti Syneo group showed significantly less:4§
Wheezing and/or noisy breathing (apart from colds)
Asthma medication use
UK CMA study:
Aptamil Pepti Syneo has also been shown to significantly reduce hospital visits and hospital medication prescriptions in infants with CMA in the 6 months after initiation3#
Palatability is an important consideration in EHF choice5,12
95% of surveyed HCPs ranked Aptamil Pepti Syneo or Aptamil Pepti 1 as the most liked EHFs6
Aptamil Pepti 1 is an extensively hydrolysed formula also suitable for the dietary management of Cow’s Milk Allergy from birth.
Aptamil Pepti 1 contains prebiotic GOS/FOS (galacto-oligosaccharides and fructo-oligosaccharides) and Aptamil Pepti Syneo includes the synbiotic blend of both prebiotics (galacto-oligosaccharides and fructo-oligosaccharides) and probiotics (Bifidobacterium breve M-16V).
*SYNEO synbiotic blend: Bifidobacterium breve M-16V (probiotic) & short and long-chain galacto- and fructo-oligosaccharides (prebiotic).
†The only synbiotic blend within an EHF in the UK. Market comparison of UK EHF data cards, October 2023.
‡12-week RCT2. Infants with Atopic Dermatitis, Aptamil Pepti Syneo vs non-synbiotic EHF. Subgroup of n=50 infants with IgE associated AD, difference in SCORAD score Aptamil Pepti Syneo vs non-synbiotic EHE, -4.6, 95% CI, p=0.04.
#Single arm UK non-IgE mediated CMA study3, baseline non-synbiotic formula (n=27 out of n=29 well established on a non-synbiotic EHF) vs Aptamil Pepti Syneo, 4 week intervention. Sig reduction in GI symptoms (abdominal pain, wind, & constipation p=<0.05), reduction in severity of rhinitis (p<0.05) and itchy eyes (p<0.05). Significant reduction in PO-SCORAD in subgroup of n=6 infants with more severe AD at baseline, p=0.03. Mean number of overall hospital visits and hospital medication prescriptions significantly reduced (p<0.05) in the 6 months after Aptamil Pepti Syneo initiation compared with 6 months prior. n=13 included in the follow-up analysis.
§1 year follow up4 from 12 week RCT2. Significantly lower prevalence of asthma like symptoms and significantly fewer new users of asthma medication in the Aptamil Pepti Syneo group vs non-synbiotic EHF.
**Contains more of the gut microbiota modulating factors of breastmilk than any other EHF (prebiotic oligosaccharides, probiotic bacteria and lactose). Aptamil Pepti Syneo compared to all other UK EHFs.
AD: atopic dermatitis; CMA: Cow’s Milk Allergy; EHF: Extensively Hydrolysed Formula; FOS: fructo-oligosaccharide; GI: gastrointestinal; GOS: galacto-oligosaccharide; lc: long-chain; OS: oligosaccharide; PO-SCORAD: Patient-Orientated SCORAD; QoL: quality of life; RCT: Randomised Controlled Trial; sc: short-chain; SCORAD: SCOring of AD; SYNBAD: Synbiotics in Atopic Dermatitis
1. Abrahamse-Berkeveld, et al. J Nutr Sci. 2016;5:e42.
2. van der Aa, et al. Clin Exp Allergy. 2010;40(5):795-804.
3. Hubbard, et al. Immun Inflamm Dis. 2022;10(6):e636.
4. van der Aa, et al. Allergy. 2011;66(2):170-7.
5. Maslin, et al. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2018;29(8):857-62.
6. Data on file, updated independent taste panel report, Campden BRI, October 2020. n=102 HCPs, Campden BRI blind home usage taste testing, n=102 Dietitians and General Practitioners. Aptamil Pepti 1 & Pepti Syneo vs all UK EHFs suitable from birth.
7. Sorensen, et al. Poster Presentation. European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2022.
8. Market comparison of UK EHF prices per 400g tin, NHSBA dm+d browser, October 2023. Aptamil Pepti 1, 2 & Syneo vs Alimentum, Nutramigen LGG 1, 2 & 3 and SMA Althera.
9. Scholtens, et al. Annu Rev Food Sci Technol. 2012;3:213.
10. Andreas, et al. Early Human Dev. 2015;91(11):629–35.
11. Market comparison of UK EHF data cards, October 2023.
12. Luyt, et al. Clin Exp Allergy: J Br Soc Allergy Clin Immunol. 2014;44(5):642-72.
13. Mead Johnson Nutrition. Nutramigen LGG 1 Data Card. Available at https://www. hcp.nutramigen.co.uk/s/nutramigen-1-with-lgg (accessed October 2023).
14. Abbott. Alimentum Data Card. Available at https:// nutrition.abbott/uk/product/alimentum (accessed October 2023).
15. Nestle Health Science. Althera data card. Available at https://www. nestlehealthscience.co.uk/brands/althera-and-alfamino/althera-hcp (accessed October 2023).
16. Sorensen, et al. Immun Inflamm Dis. 2022;10(3):e572.
Accurate at time of publication: October 2023
Please ensure your role and areas of interest are up to date.