The Nutilis pre-thickened range has been developed specifically for patients with disease related malnutrition and dysphagia.
Why Nutilis pre-thickened?
It is extremely difficult to thicken an oral nutritional supplement to a safe, uniform consistency with the manual addition of a powder thickener1, and in practice there is a wide variation and inconsistency in how drinks are thickened by patients, staff and carers2,3,4.
As a result, we do not recommend thickening standard oral nutritional supplement. If a thickened oral nutritional supplement is required, the Nutilis pre-thickened range may be more suitable for use.
The Nutilis pre-thickened range offers:
- The reassurance of the right consistency5
- Nutritionally complete, high in energy** and contains protein
- Amylase6-8 resistant features for a safer swallow
- A range of different flavours
- Ready-to-use: no preparation required
- Low volume to aid compliance9
- All Nutilis products have been tested to align and re-labelled with the International Dysphagia Diet Standardisation Initiative (IDDSI) levels
Nutilis Complete with cooling sensation helps support swallow response
Sensory stimulation is crutial in modulating the swallow response
Oropharyngeal sensory deficit has been linked to dysphagia5 and is related to higher prevalence of aspiration2 in people with neurological disease.
Following more than 20 years of research into the field of dysphagia, cold ‘touch’ sensory stimulation of the oropharynx has been proven to have benefits for the swallow reflex of dysphagia patients 10-12.
Data cards and prescribing information
(**) 2.45kcal/ml Nutilis Complete Drink Level 3, 2.45kcal/g Nutilis Complete Crème Level 3, 1.37kcal/g Nutilis Fruit Level 4.
- Bedson JV. Are dysphagic patients receiving thickened nutritional supplement drinks? Dietetic recommendations and nursing practice. CN; 9(1): 47-49
- Garcia J et al. Quality of care issues for dysphagia; modifications involving oral fluids. Journal of Clinical Nursing. Jun;19(11-12):1618-24.
- Thomas B, Ed. Manual of dietetic practice, 3rd ed, Oxford: Blackwell Scientific Publications 2007
- Glassburn DL; Deem JF (1998). "Thickener Viscosity in Dysphagia Management: Variability among Speech-Language Pathologists." Dysphagia 13(4): 218-22
- Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists, British Dietetic Association. National descriptors for texture modification in adults, 2002.
- Oudhuis L, Sliwinski E. Clin Nutr Suppl, 2010;5:212.
- Oudhuis, et al. Clin Nutr Suppl, 2012;7:170.
- Sliwinski, et al. Dysphagia, 2013;28:315.
- Hubbard GP, et al. Clin Nutr, 2012;31:293-312.
- Kaatzke-McDonald MN, et al. Dysphagia, 1996;11:198-206
- Watando A. et al. J Am Geriatr Soc, 2004;52:2143-4.
- Ebihara T, et al. Br J Clin Pharmacol, 2006;62:369-71.
Nutilis pre-thickened range are Foods for Special Medical Purposes for the dietary management of disease related malnutrition and dysphagia and must be used under medical supervision