Roasted aubergine and smoked cheese tart
- Take the chilled short-crust low protein pastry and roll it out using a little Lopofin Mix to fit an 8-inch tart or pie plate. Then with a fork, dock the bottom of the pastry before chilling for 10 minutes
- Next, line the pastry with baking paper and fill with baking beans, baking at 180oc for 10 minutes before removing the baking paper and baking the pastry for another 5 minutes
- Fry the sliced onion in a small amount of the oil over med-low heat until soft
- Slice the aubergine lengthways, then slice each half into thin slices so they look like half-moons
- Place the aubergines on 2 baking trays and drizzle the rest of the oil and sprinkle over the smoked paprika before baking them at 180oc for 10 minutes until soft
- Once the onions and aubergines are cooled, grate the low protein cheese and place it in the bottom of the pie, topping with the cooked onions spread out evenly
- Next, lay the slice of cooked aubergines over the top of the onions, overlapping them around the pie, bake at 180oc for 15 minutes until the pastry is baked
- Allow the pie to cool slightly in the dish before serving
- You can add any cooked vegetables to this pie e.g. mushrooms, baby corn, courgettes, leeks
- Add any low protein cheese works -smoked cheese works well with the aubergines
- Sun-dried tomatoes*, char-grilled peppers work great in this pie too
- This is an open-top pie but you can top with more pastry to make a complete pie or you can make smaller individual pies if you have small tart cases or use muffin trays
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Loprofin Range are Foods for Special Medical Purposes, for the dietary management of Inherited Metabolic Disorders, and must be used under medical supervision.
*The phenylalanine content indicated in this recipe is provided as a guide only. Please check the protein content on individual ingredients and food labels.
**Allergens may be present, please check individual ingredients and product labels. If concerned about allergens please contact your healthcare professional