Immunity & malnutrition in faltering growth
Malnutrition and infection are a vicious cycle
In the malnourished child infections are both more frequent and often become chronic.1
The relationship between malnutrition and infection is bidirectional.2
Malnutrition increases the risk of infection, and infection contributes to increasing malnutrition.
Malnutrition-related changes in intestinal microbiota contribute to compromised immune function that can further increase frequency, duration and/or severity of infectious diseases2
Infection can further compromise malnutrition through:2
- the direct effect of the infection (e.g. loss of nutrients during diarrhoea)
- the metabolic cost of immune activation
Oral nutritional supplements (ONS) are available to help meet nutritional requirements that cannot be met with food alone
When dietary counselling by a healthcare professional is not sufficient to support the intake of energy and nutrient rich foods, ONS can help to meet nutritional requirements that cannot be met with food alone.
Energy and nutrient dense oral nutritional supplements (ONS) are nutritionally complete to meet the nutritional needs of children with or at risk of faltering growth.
Paediatric ONS have been clinically demonstrated to:
- improve nutritional status8
- support catch-up growth8
- support the immune system through decreased number of days sick4
Fortini Compact Multi Fibre improves nutrient intakes, growth and appetite
Improves total nutrient intake without replacing diet8
- A clinical trial using Fortini Compact Multi Fibre demonstrated improved nutrient intakes, growth and appetite in paediatric patients.
Well tolerated & good compliance8
- 81% of children liked the taste of Fortini Compact Multi Fibre9
- Excellent compliance with Fortini Compact Multi Fibre was associated with improved energy and protein intakes8
The Fortini Compact Multi Fibre range is nutritionally complete, with micronutrients that support the immune system
If a child's diet is nutritionally compromised, key micronutrients for the immune system are often inadequate.
Micronutrient deficiencies can have a significant impact on immune function.2
The Fortini Compact Multi Fibre range contains a number of micronutrients including vitamins A, C, D, zinc and iron which supports the development of the immune system.2,3
The Fortini Compact Multi Fibre range contains our unique multi fibre mixture MF6, which closely resembles the fibres found in a healthy varied diet.
MF6 mixture of 6 soluble and insoluble fibres.
Clinical evidence in malnourished patients shows:
- Increase bifidobacteria which supports a healthy gut11
- Improve tolerance, e.g. reduced bloating7,10
- Reduce diarrhoea6,7
- Reduce constipation and laxative use6,7
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Fortini Compact Multi Fibre is a Food for Special Medical Purposes for the dietary management of disease related malnutrition and growth failure in children from one year onwards, and must be used under medical supervision.
- Mehta NM, Corkins MR, Lyman B, et al. Defining Paediatric Malnutrition. Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition. 2013;37:460-481
- Ibrahim et al. Clin Microbiol Rev 2017 ;30(4) : 919-971
- Katona P. et al. Clin Infect Dis 2008;46(10):1582-8.
- Fisberg M. et al. Int Pediatr 2002 ;17(4) :216-222
- Wierdsma N. et al. Ned Tijdsch Dietisten 2001;56:243-7
- Trier E. at al. J Paediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 1999;27:595
- Grogan J. et al. J Human Nutr Dietetica 2006;19:462
- Hubbard GP, Fry C, Sorensen K, et al. Energy-dense, low-volume paediatric oral nutritional supplements improve total nutrietn intake and increase growth in paediatric patients requiring nutritional support: results of a randomised controlled trial. Eur J Paediatr. 2020;179:1421-143
- Healthy Children Taste Testing (n=122), data on file
- Silk D. et al. Clin Nutr 2001:20:49-58
- Guimber D,Bourois B, Beghin L, et al. British Journal of Nutrition.2010; 104:1514–1522.
*Product can be provided to patients upon the request of a Healthcare Professional. They are intended for the purpose of professional evaluation only.
Looking to speak to your local Nutricia representative?
Select ‘request a meeting/ call with a local sales rep’ as the topic of enquiry when completing our contact form, and your local account manager will be in touch shortly.